Translate

Friday, February 10, 2017

The Disrespecting of Donald Trump


I have always been taught that respect is earned. It is earned mutually through the process of building trust, offering compassion, and understanding the views of others – especially if those others are in a position of subordination.

That said, I believe a dangerous precedent is being established which is undermining the structure of the United States of America and, due to our ranking in the political realm, the world. In my opinion, Donald Trump has not met the criteria for earned mutual respect.

I have watched Donald Trump’s displays throughout his campaign and his Presidency thus far. I have yet to witness a sincere act of respect for any person or thing. I believe he completely lacks the ability to feel true respect for anyone, let alone those who offer a different opinion. However, he fully expects and demands that every living being on earth (possibly beyond) show him the respect he believes he is entitled to.

Americans believe that our forefathers were men of honor, respect, and dignity. We have been taught that the office of the president is one which shares those same qualities. Let me ask you this, have you ever been witness to a boss who yells at and belittles his employees in front of everyone? My guess is that you probably have, because people like that exist. Did you find yourself thinking, “Wow! What a jerk!” My guess, again, is that you did. So, this is why I don’t understand how the good people of this country, people I have come to respect, can be alright with Trump’s actions. The way I see it he is belittling anyone who feels or thinks differently and is doing it very publicly and well…”Wow! What a jerk!”

Do you see? I may have varied opinions on the policies of this administration. I may choose to speak my mind against some of them or I may even choose to support a particular stance, but that is irrelevant. My issue here is that I cannot, in good conscience, support any person that I do not respect. I wouldn’t respect the boss who is belittling his employees in public any more than I can respect the President who belittles the very people he is responsible for. Without that respect I cannot trust him. I cannot feel a great deal of compassion for him. I cannot believe that he has the ability to understand the issues of those dependent on him, or that he even truly cares about them.

I feel that Donald Trump’s disrespect for our system of government is obvious. He believes he is entitled to do what he wants when he wants. When he is questioned via the legitimate processes of balances and checks established by our forefathers, he offers public condemnation and mockery to those opposing him. It upsets me that there are people in this world who are alright with this behavior. Personally, I think it’s bad enough coming from any one person but coming from the President of the United States, well…it’s downright shameful. How can I be expected to give a man a “chance” when he clearly disrespects me? How can you?

No comments:

Post a Comment